"I'm So Excited..."

11.6.08

I am really excited about directing The Winter's Tale. Not only is the play fantastic but I have some great things in mind over what I am going to do.

The first new thing I am trialling is this blog. I have never used a blog expressly for the purpose of communicating how rehearsals are progressing to the audience before. But I think it is a great idea to expand the audience's contact with the play. I am also hoping - cast permission willing - to post pictures and video of the rehearsal process here for you to have a wee nosey at.

I have finished editing the script [I think] but are yet to format the electronic version. I have been quite severe in cutting out some scenes totally - also a new thing for me - and have rearranged part of one scene. I will just have to wait until the first read-through to find out if my editing makes any sense!

Because Winter's Tale requires such a large cast I will be utilising doubling extensively. There are many reasons for this, both practically and artistically. Practically, this will mean there will be less actors to find - always a challenging task for unpaid theatre. It also means that each actor will have a decent sized part to play in the final production - I will not have actors coming to a 3 hour rehearsal just in the hope they can say their two lines and then not getting the chance to say that line at all! Artistically, doubling also works because the two countries - Bohemia and Sicillia - have a totally differenct set of characters yet there are roles in each country which are interesting to juxtapose. During the play, I want the audience to remember that the actor is playing multiple roles rather than suspending their disbelief totally. I have also almost finished casting the various roles- there are just two actors left to find but have people in mind for them.

I totally can't wait for the first rehearsal!

0 comments:

 
Neal's Current Projects - Templates para novo blogger